Saturday 12 July 2014

From Colonia del Sacramento I took the bus to go to Salto in the northwest of Uruguay.
Then I crossed the border by bus to go to Concordia in Argentina.
Finally I took another bus to go from Concordia to Puerto Iguazú.
1419km and 31h travelling in 3 different bus.
It was longer because the last bus broke down just before Puerto Iguazú (broken belt).
So we stopped for 2h in Eldorado to find another belt and repair it.

Puerto Iguazú is located in the province of Misiones in Argentina.
It's a frontier city with Brazil and Paraguay ("Tres Fronteras").
The 3 borders are separated by the rivers Iguazú & Paraná.
In fact the river Iguazú is a tributary of the Paraná river
In the other side of the Iguazú river there is the city of "Foz do Iguaçu" in Brazil.
In the other side of the Paraná river there is the city of "Ciudad del Este" in Paraguay.

Puerto Iguazú is the perfect place to visit the Iguazú waterfalls.
It's possible to see them from the Brazilian side and from the Argentinian side.

So first I booked a tour in order to do it from the Brazilian side.
The tour also included a visit of the city of Ciudad del Este and Itaipu dam in Paraguay.
Unfortunately we didn't have time to visit Itaipu dam because it was the flag day in Argentina and it took too much time to cross the border. A lot of Argentinian went to Ciudad del Este in Paraguay for shopping because it's cheaper.
Then we went to Iguazú waterfalls in Brazil.

The day after I went by myself to Iguazú waterfalls in Argentina.
Usually the Argentinian side is better than Brazilian side.
But due to the floods few weeks before a lot of bridges and gateways were destroyed.
So it was not possible to go to the upper part to see the main waterfalls from above.
I also did a boat trip to go inside the waterfalls.
I was completely wet but it was really fun.


On both sides you can see very strange animals called Cuatis.
It's a mammal with a long snout and striped tail.

Every evening I dined with a couple I met in the bus (Mario from Guatemala & Nicola Clare from England).

I also met a guy from Malaysia in my accommodation (Chuen).

PUERTO IGUAZU


IGUAZU FALLS - BRAZILIAN SIDE


IGUAZU FALLS - ARGENTINIAN SIDE

No comments:

Post a Comment