Sunday 10 November 2013

The population of Nepal is about 30 million inhabitants.
The main religions are Hinduism (80%) and Buddhism (10%).
The taxi driver who took me from the airport to my youth hostel told me they call the Nepal the second India.

Kathmandu is the capital of the Nepal.
The agglomeration of Kathmandu has about 3 million inhabitants.
It's a chaotic city rocked by traffic and pollution.
You can find everything you want especially everything you need for hiking (trek shops and agencies).
Of course 99% of the items sold are copies of famous brand (The North Face, Millet, ...).
I bought a North Face jacket, a head lamp and a gourd for 5600NPR (about 40€).

Accommodations are really bad compared to China: dirty rooms, cold water, bad food, slow internet connection... .
I will remember for a long time the hotel included in my trek because somebody stole me about 240€ in my room (5000NPR, 250$ and 20€).

1 day visit of Kathmandu was included in my trek.
First we went to the Buddhist stupa of Boudhanath, one of the most famous Buddhist sites in Kathmandu.
Then we went to Pashupatinath Hindu Temple which is a cremation place.
Finally we went to Patan Durbar Square, one of the 3 Royal cities in the Kathmandu Valley which is full of Hindu temples and Buddhist monuments.

No comments:

Post a Comment